Article written by Jackson Gatlin (@JTGatlin)
Rockets guard Russell Westbrook confirmed via Instagram Monday morning that he tested positive for COVID-19 prior to the team’s departure to Orlando for the resumption of the NBA season.
Westbrook’s message to his followers included assurances that he is “feeling well” and looking forward to rejoining his teammates when he is cleared to do so.
Westbrook’s post confirms social media speculation as to why he has yet to join the Rockets in Orlando.
This is the first publicly reported case of COVID-19 affecting a Rockets player, however forward Thabo Sefolosha — who opted not to join the team for the season restart in Orlando — told Swiss media earlier this month that some of his teammates had already tested positive, including one that he had been close to for a few days in Houston.
Westbrook’s backcourt running mate James Harden and newly signed Luc Mbah a Moute are also currently away from the team, however news has yet to surface on the reason’s for their respective delays.
When asked Sunday night if he could say why the trio of players missing from Orlando, Rockets head coach Mike D’Antoni said “No. Not really. These are things that people are dealing with. We aren’t going to get into why or why not. They’re on the way.”
If you appreciate the consistent digital and podcast breakdowns, analysis, speculation, guest voices and camaraderie of our team, please consider one of our monthly Patreon subscription options available here.
While covering hoops is our collective passion, passion unfortunately doesn’t help keep the lights on.